Science Fiction Pulp Magazine Cover art, Neo Luddites

This is something that started as a quick Drink and Draw sketch. I doodled the marker sketch below.
 I don't know where this robot character came from but he looked like he needed to be on a sci-fi pulp magazine cover.

 

here is the original sketch below its about 9 x4 cm (3.5 x5.5 inch) I imported the sketch into photoshop as an underlay and worked up an outline. I blocked in the colour by adding basic subtracted shapes and added the details and highlights with a Wacom pin.


I based the layout on an old 30s pulp Sci-fi magazine. I was amazed to find there are groups called Neo Luddites both peaceful and militant. I have a bit of a soft spot for robots so the luddite mob hasn't quite caught up with the poor robot but he did get a few wallops.

I heard that the Cover artists for these 30s pulp magazines would create an image first and then the writers would write a story to fit.

Comments

Popular Posts